Our two-way Salesforce app makes it easy to capture, nurture and convert leads in Intercom. You can create Salesforce leads, see and use Salesforce data in Intercom and create Salesforce tasks from Intercom conversations. Here’s how it works:
Why integrate with Salesforce?
Your sales team can easily integrate Intercom into their existing workflows to:
- Automatically send qualified leads to Salesforce and keep your data in sync.
- Manually create Salesforce leads in Intercom with a single click. This saves time copying and pasting between tools.
- Automatically assign conversations to the correct lead owner in Intercom.
- Send targeted lead nurture campaigns using Salesforce data like job title, status and account owner.
- Map your qualification data fields between Intercom and Salesforce, and have those fields update from Intercom to Salesforce continuously.
- Manually log conversations, notes and manual messages as Salesforce tasks, so you have a complete interaction history with each lead or contact.
Your sales and support teams can also collaborate together to:
- Quickly see the lead or account owner of a lead or user they’re talking to.
- Quickly see important account information, like the lead’s status.
- Get full context of every lead’s journey by logging Intercom conversations in Salesforce.
Note: This integration replaces our previous Salesforce integration. If you're using the old integration, it will continue to work but we recommend installing the new one as it lets you do much more.
To integrate with Salesforce, you must have:
- An Intercom Messages Pro or Inbox Pro subscription with full admin permissions.
- A Salesforce account with admin permissions (sandbox accounts are not supported).
- A Salesforce edition with API access, such as the Enterprise and Unlimited editions.
Note: There are 3 Salesforce editions that don’t have API access: Contact Edition, Group Edition and Professional Edition. You can purchase API access as an add-on to the Professional Edition.
Integrate with Salesforce
First, go your app store. Then, search for the Salesforce app and click ‘Install now. This will install the app for all teammates with Salesforce accounts.
Once you connect the integration, we’ll automatically link any Intercom lead or user that matches with a lead or contact profile in Salesforce. Then, we’ll start enriching these leads and users with Salesforce data in Intercom.
Important: It may take some time to import your Salesforce data to Intercom. You’ll get an email when the integration is complete.
View a user or lead's Salesforce data
Once the integration is complete, just visit a matching lead or users’ profile in Intercom and hover over their Salesforce link to see their details.
Note: You can also click on the link to see your lead’s details in Salesforce.
Next, there are three powerful steps you can take to get and use live Salesforce data in Intercom, and log Intercom conversations in Salesforce:
1. Send leads from Intercom to Salesforce
Automatically send qualified leads to Salesforce
There are two ways you can send new qualified leads from Intercom to Salesforce automatically. You can:
- Set Operator, our bot for better customer experiences, to do it for you after it qualifies your new leads.
- And/or set up a follow-up rule in a visitor auto message.
- Any lead qualification attributes you’ve already collected are transferred over too.
- You’ll need to collect your lead’s email address to create a lead in Salesforce.
Set Operator to send qualified leads to Salesforce
You should set up Operator, our automated bot, to automatically send your qualified leads to Salesforce. After you’ve chosen the data you’d like Operator to collect in the Qualification section of your Operator settings, just add a follow up rule:
- First, click ‘Add data’ and choose which leads you’d like to send to Salesforce (for example, leads who work at companies with over 500 employees).
- Then, select ‘Create new lead in Salesforce.’
Note: You can get as targeted as you like with the leads you send to Salesforce. Just click ‘Add data’ to add more data.
Set up a follow up rules in a visitor auto message
When you create a visitor auto message anyone who replies to the visitor auto message will become a lead in Intercom. You should set up follow up rules to automatically send these leads to Salesforce too.
Note: You’ll need to choose ‘chat’ as your message type, ‘email collector’ as your response type and send your message in ‘full.’
Manually create Salesforce leads
When you’re chatting to a lead in Intercom, you’ll see a Salesforce logo in their profile. Just click ‘Create Lead’ to send a lead to Salesforce.
- A lead must have an email address before they can be sent to Salesforce.
- You can also create a Salesforce lead from a lead/user’s profile in Intercom.
- All leads are automatically assigned to the default lead owner set in Salesforce. You can change this in your Lead Settings in your Salesforce Setup.
A link to the Salesforce lead will display in your lead’s profile panel in Intercom.
Just click the link to see your lead’s details in Salesforce.
Leads sent to Salesforce are created with all of the qualification data you have collected before you created the lead. However, we need your lead’s email address to create the lead.
Leads sent to Salesforce are created with the following fields:
- Email address
- Lead source: Intercom
- Phone number (if available)
Just click the link to see your lead’s details in Salesforce.
Note: If a lead’s email in Intercom matches with multiple leads in Salesforce, the lead's Salesforce profile in Intercom will appear as ‘Multiple matches found.’ You can click on this for more information. Here's what we'll show when this happens:
- If there are no Salesforce contact but there are multiple Intercom leads, we'll show you the number of matches with a link to all matching leads.
- Is there is a Salesforce contact and one or more leads, we'll match the contact with the leads.
- If there are multiple Salesforce contacts and none or multiple Intercom leads, we'll show the number of matches with a link to all matching contacts. We'll also update any relevant custom data attributes you have in Intercom.
- You can edit a lead’s name, email, phone number and company name in Intercom before sending to Salesforce.
- If the lead is missing details, we'll send a placeholder to Salesforce. However, if you edit these details after sending a lead to Salesforce in either tool, this won't update in Intercom or Salesforce.
Map and sync your qualification attributes
You can map qualifying lead, user and company attributes to Salesforce lead fields. This allows you to update Salesforce fields without leaving the Intercom inbox. You can also map your lead's most recent source, campaign and other UTM parameters you use in your advertising campaigns.
Just visit your Salesforce integration settings page and select a Salesforce lead field for every piece of Intercom qualification data you’ve added.
Note: You can also map other Salesforce fields that are strictly required in order to create a lead, so that you can always create leads from the inbox or through Operator.
- Any edits you make to this data in Intercom will automatically update in Salesforce. However, any edits you make to this data in Salesforce won't automatically update in Intercom.
- You can remove a mapped field by selecting ‘clear’. Unmapped or deleted attributes will be ignored.
2. Send conversations from Intercom to Salesforce
It’s easy to log conversations you have with leads, notes you’ve left teammates, and manual messages as Salesforce tasks. This means you’ll have a complete interaction history with each lead or contact.
How to create conversations and notes in Salesforce
In the inbox, just hover over a note or message and click on the three dots that appear and select ‘New Salesforce task.’
The conversation will display on a lead/contact’s page as a completed task. You’ll see a snippet of the conversation/note and a link to that note/conversation in Intercom.
- We'll assign the task in Salesforce to the teammate assigned to the conversation in Intercom.
- If a lead's or users' email in Intercom matches with multiple leads in Salesforce, we'll create a new task for them all.
- If you have multiple tasks, we'll mark the first task that's been changed to 'closed' as completed.
3. See and use Salesforce data in Intercom
When you first connect to Salesforce, we’ll look for leads/users with the same email address. Then we’ll send Salesforce data to that users/leads’ profile, like the lead’s job title and name of their account owner.
Here’s the full list of Salesforce data that will send to Intercom:
- SALESFORCE_STATUS - the status of the lead (e.g. ‘open’, ‘contacted’)
- SALESFORCE_TITLE (job title) - the job title of the lead/contact
- SALESFORCE_OWNER_ID - the ID of the Salesforce user assigned as the owner of a lead/contact in Salesforce
- SALESFORCE_OWNER_NAME - the name of the Salesforce user assigned as the owner of a lead/contact in Salesforce (note this may not necessarily be a user in Intercom)
- SALESFORCE_OWNER_EMAIL - the email of the Salesforce user assigned as the owner of a lead/contact in Salesforce
- SALESFORCE_OWNER_ROLE - the role/job title of the lead/contact owner in Salesforce
- SALESFORCE_ID - the ID of the lead/contact in Salesforce
- SALESFORCE_OBJECT_TYPE - whether it is a lead or contact
This data is continuously updated from Salesforce every 5-10 minutes. You’ll also see events in Intercom that show you the time these attributes were last updated. You’ll see events for:
Important: The initial sync can take a few hours if you have lots of data. You can check its progress in your Integration settings and we’ll email you once it’s complete.
Make the most of your Salesforce data
Get context on who you’re talking to
Just hover over a Salesforce lead’s name in their Intercom profile to see a card with useful information that will help you get to know them better. For example, you can see their job title, status, account owner and more. This will help you answer each lead’s question in a personal way, which will increase your chance of converting them to paying customers.
Note: We'll display different data for contacts and leads. When it’s a contact, we'll display the title, account owner and account owner role (ie. job title). The role will indicate whether the contact is at the Account Exec or Relationship Manager stage, and the contact's geolocation (for example, sales Dublin).
Send targeted messages to nurture leads
If you have our Messages product, you can create a lead nurturing campaign and target it to automatically send to a specific group of leads. For example, you could add leads to a campaign when they’re at a promising status to encourage them to sign up for a paid account.
Automatically assign conversations to a specific teammate or team
With our Inbox product, you can also automatically assign conversations to a specific teammate or team. For example, you might want to assign messages from leads with specific job titles to your VIP sales team or messages from leads with a promising status to your Sales Development Reps or the lead’s owner.
How to uninstall the integration
If you wish to uninstall this integration at any time, just head to the app store and remove the integration form there. This will remove the apps for all teammates.
Having trouble setting up the integration?
As the Salesforce integration depends on the standard out-of-the-box setup that Salesforce offers, there may be times when the integration doesn’t install correctly. For example, specific Salesforce fields are required for the integration to work.
If something fails while creating a lead or a task, you can diagnose the issue yourself. Just visit the app store and select your Salesforce Settings. You'll see a list of errors there, along with the issues that are causing them.
Note: Here are some more troubleshooting tips to help you successfully set up the integration.
- Now that you have all the Salesforce data you need, go ahead and create an engaging campaign to convert your leads to paying customers.
- Capture and qualify your leads automatically with Operator, and qualify them further as you chat to them.
- Learn how to generate more leads for your sales team in our upcoming webinar.