With the Shopify app, you can provide personal, real-time support to visitors and customers on your store.
You can also save hours of conversations time by letting customers check their order status in your Messenger home:
Here are more things you can do:
- Chat with visitors to your store in real-time, capture them as leads, and convert them to customers.
- Show customers their latest order status in your Messenger home, so they can check their order without needing to start a conversation.
- Let visitors search their orders straight from Messenger home.
- See your customers’ order history beside each conversation to resolve issues faster (with our Inbox product).
- Send targeted messages to encourage customers who purchased from your store to return (with our Messages product).
Note: You’ll need Inbox product to use the Shopify app. We’ll sync your Shopify customer data with Intercom and track your users' actions in the store as events in Intercom, so you can send them targeted messages based on their actions.
How to install the Shopify app
First, install the Intercom app on the Shopify app store.
Next, select the Intercom account you want to connect, then click ‘Connect’ to accept permissions from Intercom.
Once you’ve completed setup, you’ll see the Intercom Messenger on the bottom right-hand corner of your website:
Let customers check their order status in the Messenger home
‘Where’s my order?’ is one of the most common questions eCommerce businesses receive from customers. With Shopify’s Messenger app, you can:
- Automatically show logged-in users their latest order status in your Messenger home.
- Let logged-out visitors search their orders right from your Messenger home.
Note: Once you’ve connected your Shopify store to Intercom, the Shopify Messenger app will automatically be installed in the app store.
Here’s how the Messenger app works:
For logged-in users
When users sign into your store, they’ll be able to access their order status in your Messenger home:
Once they click the app, they can quickly check their recent order status, without needing to start a conversation:
If your users click on an order, it will show them the latest status in a new page:
For logged-out visitors
When visitors click on the Shopify app in your Messenger home, they’ll be able to search their order using their order number and email address:
If their details match an order, it’ll appear as a result:
Like for logged-in users, visitors can then click to see the order status in more detail. Here’s how to add it to your Messenger home:
Add the Shopify app to your Messenger home
Note: You can show the Shopify app to visitors, users or both.
Once you save and set it live, customers can start checking their latest orders in your Messenger home.
How Shopify syncs with Intercom
Shopify automatically updates your customer data in Intercom. Changes made in Intercom will never modify your data in Shopify.
Users and leads
When a lead or visitor orders a product from your Shopify store they are converted to a user in Intercom. A Shopify user is converted to an Intercom user/lead with the following attributes:
- id => user_id
- name => name
- email => email
- created_at => created_at (for leads)
- created_at => signed_up_at (for users)
- orders_count => shopify_orders_count
- total_spent => shopify_total_spent
- last_order_name => shopify_last_order_name
Important: The Shopify/Intercom integration does not support metadata.
Intercom also automatically tracks these events for your users/leads:
- Checkout in Shopify results in “checkout-start”, “checkout-customer-infos-step”, “checkout-shipment-step” and “checkout-payment-step” events.
- Creating and updating an order in Shopify results in “order-create”, “order-paid”, “order-cancelled”, “order-partially-fulfilled” and “order-fulfilled” events in Intercom.
Important: We automatically import your users from Shopify to intercom when you authenticate with Intercom. If you remove the Shopify app from Intercom, it won’t affect your Intercom subscription. If you’d like to cancel your subscription to Intercom, you can manually do so in your Intercom settings.
Don’t worry if you can’t see the Intercom Messenger on your checkout page. The checkout process happens on a different domain so we can’t insert the Messenger here. It will appear on every other page of your store. We’ll still track your visitors’ and customers’ behaviour, such as the checkout events listed above.