You can set up a test version of Intercom in your development / staging environment before adding it to production. Lots of our customers like to do this as part of installing Intercom so that they can be sure it’s working correctly before putting it live.
Note: There is no additional charge for creating a test version of Intercom.
Why is it helpful?
- It's great for getting familiar with how Intercom works. You'll be able to hit the ground running then when you do put it live :)
- It allows you to sanity check your user data to see that it's doing what it should be.
- Some people like to get comfortable with sending test messages first, before contacting their real customers. Setting up a test version of Intercom can be helpful for this because it lets you test your auto messages to make sure that they are sending as expected.
- You should use the test version of Intercom as an opportunity to test any custom attributes that you're thinking of sending to Intercom.
What you need to know about test apps
- Test apps are completely separate apps with separate data, conversations, messages, etc. You can use Test versions to send real messages to users.
- There's no additional costs to creating a test app and there are no user limits.
- Your test app's products are inherited from your main app (e.g. if your main app doesn't have Engage, your test app won't either).
So, here's how to do it:
Open your App Settings by clicking on your avatar on the left-hand side of your screen.
You'll then be directed to your General Settings screen where you need to tick the box next to 'Test Version', and click Save.
You'll receive a confirmation message at the top of the screen and your test app ID will be displayed next to the 'Test Version' check box that you selected, as shown below.
Make sure to add the Intercom snippet to your non-prod environment. When you do, your test app will inherit the messaging abilities of your production app in Intercom but it will have its own app id (to keep data separate). You need to make sure to update your
intercomSettings so that the
app_id field has the correct value based on the environment that your site/app is running in. If you're using identity verification, you'll need to go into your setup guide to get the new api secret for your test app. Similarly, you'll need to grab a test specific access token.
And... you're done!
To find your test app hover over your avatar, then hover over your real app and the test app you've just created will pop up on the right hand side.