It’s easy to export your message data as a CSV file, so you can analyze your message performance. Armed with this data, you can:
- Combine Intercom message data with your user data to better understand the impact of your messages.
- Understand how your messages and campaigns perform over time.
There are three ways you can export message data in Intercom. Here's how:
Export data for a specific date range
To export all of your message data for a specific date range, first click on the Messages icon and select the ‘Insights’ tab:
Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Export message data’:
You can choose any date range, up to a year:
- You can only export data for messages your team have sent. Right now, you can’t export conversations initiated by users, or replies to your messages.
- At the moment, reaction data won’t display in your CSV file. For example, you won’t see when a user reacted to a message, or which emoji they selected for the message.
Note: If you choose a date range that might contain a high volume of data, it’s best to open the CSV file using a text editor.
Lastly, click ‘Export’. You’ll now receive the CSV file to your email address:
Note: Exporting your message data can take up to a few hours.
Here’s the data your CSV file includes:
- Message type, channel, style and ID
- Sent, opened and clicked timestamps
- When a goal was hit
- Response timestamps
- User ID and email address
- If the message was marked as spam
- The folder and campaign the message belongs to
- How the message was delivered (full message, snippet or badge)
Export data from a message
If you’d like to look at a message’s performance in more detail, go to the message you’d like to export, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Export CSV’:
Export data from a Smart Campaign
You can also export all message data within a campaign. Just go to the campaign you’d like to export, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Export CSV':
Get further insights with exported data
Analyzing your data can help you better understand the performance of your messages. For example, you can:
- Join your message data with other data sources, such as your Intercom user data, to see how your messaging impacts behaviour or outcomes.
- Analyze the performance of your messages to see which ones are your best performers.
- Understand how a campaign has performed, and conduct an in-depth comparison with other campaigns.
- Use third party business intelligence tools to analyze your message performance over time.
Here’s how to gain further insight from your message data.